Franklin Five

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Random Thoughts about My New Home

My Canadian observations so far:


  • "Mum" instead of "Mom"

  • "Bum" instead of "bottom"

  • Smarties candies are different here. They are similar to M&M's.

  • In my opinion, the summer must be the best time of year. The weather is fabulous and everything is green and beautiful.

  • A lot of women work full-time outside of the home and have live-in nannies (a lot of them are from the Philippines). Whenever I go to one of my neighborhood parks, I see groups of Filipino nannies with the children they care for. I am a little discouraged that I am not meeting more stay-at-home moms during the day. The nannies are nice, but they have their little group. I just feel like an outsider to them.

  • The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is very green and environmentally concerned. I have no disposal in my home because I am expected to compost which is picked up every week. The GTA does a great job preserving trees and green space. Even though I live in a new neighborhood, lots of trees were saved in the outlying areas and trails were made throughout the wooded areas. The kids and I have spent many hours this week riding bikes through the trails near our house. Lidiyanna rides in the bike trailer, and I ride Tim's old bike from college. Good times!!

  • I've said this before...people from all over the world come to live in Canada. So far, I have met people from Europe, Tanzania, Jamaica, Nigeria, Russia, India, and Philippines.

  • I can't find any cans of Rotel tomatoes. Oh, my!! Although there are lots of great food here, Tex-Mex doesn't seem to be too popular.

  • Canadian geese are everywhere by the lake. So is their poop.

Things have been interesting. I'm finally learning my way around, most of our boxes are unpacked, and the kids and I have set up somewhat of a daily routine. I miss my friends and family in Nashville terribly. Despite all of the fun, new experiences we are having, I am homesick. I'm praying each day for God to shape my attitude and help me to enjoy this time and not just endure it. I am clinging to these verses:


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

Perpy said...

Jo, I love you! I can't imagine how you feel, having never moved anywhere. Aren't you grateful for those three little kids???? And for Tim, too!! You are such a strong Christian woman that soon the Lord will have you so busy helping others that you'll no longer be homesick. Of course, I'm "homesick" for y'all!! Hang in there, sweet one! And hold on tight to His hand! One day at a time!

Kimba said...

This is the first time I have checked your blog in awhile! It was so great to hear how things are going! We miss you terribly here! Toronto sounds wonderful with all the parks and great weather. I am ready to come visit!