Franklin Five

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Adventure has begun!!

We've made it to Canada and have been in our house about a week. The boxes are just about unpacked but there's still the settling in that takes time. We started out last week at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, and the kids had a great time at their indoor water park while we waited for our furniture to arrive on the moving van.
We're learning where all of the parks and grocery stores are and we've found a few "splash pads" as the Canadians call them. Toronto has a really great park system, so I think we could go to a different park almost every day this summer.

Overall, things are going well. The kids are doing a really great job adjusting to the change. The boys have had their moments of sadness. Graham has mentioned missing his Kindergarten teacher and Wesley said he was ready to go back to his old house. I've been trying to keep them busy, and that seems to help. The weather has been so nice, so we spend a lot of the day outdoors.

I have moments during the day when I feel the loneliness hovering over my head like a gray cloud. I miss our friends and family in the states, and I simply long for a friend who knows me. When we are at a park or the store, I wonder if I stick out because of the way I talk or how I look. Am I giving the cashier the right coins or am I saying the right word for the bathroom (which happens to be "washroom" here). Then, I look around and realize there are lots of people here that are from other countries so I blend into the array of diversity around me. I'm learning to appreciate new things and my perspective is growing.


I'm a minivan mom now, and I'm loving it. My favorite part of the car is the GPS. I'd be lost without it...literally.



Our new home




It didn't take long before Graham learned about the ice cream truck that frequents our neighborhood. He has declared Tuesdays "Ice cream day".




I can already tell one of my favorites things about living here will be the water. Oakville is right on Lake Ontario and some nice lake shore parks are not too far from our house.


Wesley loved the flight to Canada. I think he thought we were just going on one long vacation.

6 comments:

The Howe Family said...

Thanks for the updates, Jo! :) Love all the new pictures of our sweet family.

Christine Hoover said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see this update. I look forward to hearing more about it all.

Nanette R. said...

Thanks for the update! It's great to see the pictures and to hear about how your first week or two has gone. I am praying specifically for God to bring you a friend (or more than one) and I will pray for you all as you get used to your new city and all of the different things.

BlessingintheBattle said...

I am so glad to see this update. What a beautiful home...and a precious family! I cannot wait to hear more about it and see you guys soon!! Lots of love!

Perpy said...

Can't wait to hear what God has in store for you! It's gonna be awesome! I love you!

Sarah said...

Your home is beautiful! I hope that we will have the opportunity to see it in person during your time their. I'm sorry that I missed telling you good bye before you left. I've been thinking of you often. I pray that you will soon be feeling connected in your new city.